YouTube is a great platform for sharing ideas and establishing yourself as an expert in your industry. That said, it’s one thing to create videos for YouTube and another to do it right.
Most people starting out on YouTube don’t realize the potential of the platform. So, they focus on things that are least important, thus impeding their chances for success.
With this in mind, in this article, we’ll explain how you can grow your YouTube Channel to millions of views in three simple steps.
Step #1: Don’t worry about what you look like
People use YouTube to create and share all sorts of videos. Videos with animals, travel vlogs, animated videos, and everything in between. Most of them are shot in high-resolution, others are professionally edited, while some are even big-budget videos.
When starting out creating video content for YouTube, you shouldn’t be concerned about how your videos compare to the ones that are professionally shot. Instead, think about what you can offer your audience. Most people who watch your videos will be looking for solutions to their problems. As long as your videos provide quality content that satisfies their needs, you’re doing just fine!
New YouTubers often make the mistake of trying to appear perfect in every shot. So, they focus most of their time and resources on getting the clothes, the makeup, the lighting and the background right. However, what the successful ones do is that they focus on consistently delivering quality content.
People will watch your videos regardless of how you look or dress as long as you can solve their problems. Whether it be by creating funny videos or teaching Algebraic formulas or reviewing new products. And doing that regularly is far more important than ‘looking good’.
The goal is to make it easy for yourself to publish content regularly. For instance, you might decide to publish new videos every Monday and Thursday. Additionally, you need to select a niche for attracting a dedicated audience to your videos. For example, if you’re creating online course videos about learning Portuguese, you might consider creating and sharing content around Portuguese pronunciation, English to Portuguese words, and short Portuguese sentences.
Here are some actionable tips that’ll help you get started with your initial YouTube videos:
- Jot down ideas for possible videos: Make a list of popular topics in your area of expertise (15-20 is a good number to start with). Remember this is the idea generation phase, so you don’t need to be worried about how you’ll create videos out of them.
- Pick out the ideas that would be the easiest to film: Figure out which ideas can easily be turned into videos. The reason behind this is that you need to have fewest amount of obstacles in creating your first video. So, a simple idea that doesn’t require expensive filming equipment or props would be best.
- Draft an outline for your video: Split your outline in three parts: introduction, body and call to action.
- Introduction: Here, tell your audience what they’ll get by watching your video. For instance, they’ll learn to dunk a basketball or bake a banana cream pie.
- Body: In this section, you’ll write down everything you have in store for your audience. Understand that your viewers want to learn something and be entertained. So, create content that meets their expectations as well as keeps them involved. For instance, you can ask them to recommend new ideas for your videos or suggestions that’ll help improve your videos.
- Call to action: Finally, ask them to subscribe to your channel and click on the bell icon to receive notifications for new videos. You can also ask viewers to drop a like and share the video.
Next, bring out your smartphone or webcam to record the video. When you’re done filming, review your work and upload it to your YouTube channel.
Step #2: Mix up your content
Creating videos for your viewers is one thing but keeping them interested is another. Once you start creating YouTube videos, you’ll constantly be looking for new ideas to keep your viewers interested and engaged. And with so many different YouTube channels producing content, you’ll have a new challenge to face.
You need to make sure that you aren’t stuck with what you think your audience wants. Instead, look for what other YouTubers do to keep their viewers engaged and try to deliver something similar. The comments section under your videos can also be used as feedback to mix things up a bit.
For instance, if you have a cooking channel, your content will become too predictable after some time. Your subscribers will be less excited about new videos and you might lose your grip on your audience.
For example, to spice things up a bit, you might consider creating videos about how to make your own wood fired pizza oven or filling donuts with ice-cream. When you’re more creative with what you offer your audience will always be wondering what you’ll come up with next? It’s a surefire way to keep them coming back for more!
In addition to this, by ditching the ‘traditional’ way of doing things and trying new stuff, you’ll become more flexible and resourceful with your ideas. Your goal should be to use your expertise and experience to help others and deliver value to your viewers and subscribers. For example, you might decide to create videos around topics that others wouldn’t consider which your viewership would certainly appreciate.
As a result, you’ll be able to build credibility, show personality on-screen, and humanize your brand. Of course, take this advice with a pinch of salt. Be realistic and only venture into something before working out the pros and cons!
Here are some quick video ideas to help you get started:
- Vlog-Style Content: This is a great way to share content as stories and inspire curiosity among your audience. For instance, you could create a vlog from Portugal for your Portuguese language channel.
- Address Pain Points and How-to Content: These types of videos are very popular as they cater to the core needs of the viewer. For instance, you might make videos about X ways to preserve fruits and vegetables for your food channel.
- Holidays and Events: Creating content that is based on popular events like Christmas or the Grammy Awards is a great way to incorporate trending themes into your videos. For example, you might make a video about traditional Portuguese desserts for Easter.
- Milestones: This is another popular video content type used by YouTubers to announce a personal achievement with their followers. For instance, you could make a video thanking your audience on reaching a million subscribers or your channel turning 5 years old.
Step #3: Making money off of YouTube
YouTube enables you to make money off your videos by enabling monetization on your channel. For those unfamiliar, what this means is that your viewers will be shown ads and you’ll make a few cents every time they click on them. The only problem is that, to make it worth your while, you’ll need to grow your channel to millions of monthly views.
In the meanwhile, there is another way to make the most of your YouTube viewership for attracting potential customers to your online business i.e. by getting them to sign up for your email list.
With an email list, you’ll be able to reach out to prospective clients directly and offer them premium content. If you sell paid online courses on your website, this is a great way to generate qualified leads for your business.
Directing your YouTube audience to your email list is easier than you think. Here are some actionable tips to get you started:
- Create a well-crafted call to action video (about 20 seconds long) at the end of your videos that encourages viewers to sign up for your email list.
- Your call to action should clearly explain what they’ll receive by signing up. For instance, weekly blog posts, access to exclusive content, or articles delivered straight to their inbox.
- You can use the YouTube description area to share links to your website and landing pages with your viewers. This space can also be used to attract new visitors to your website. For instance, you could encourage viewers to head over to your site for bonus videos and exclusive content.
- You can use your website as a platform to have conversations with your audience and gather feedback. You’ll also be able to respond to comments and questions which will help boost customer engagement.
Creating YouTube videos is a great way to boost your business’ online visibility and help prospective viewers see the value in your offering.
We looked at some of the best practices to help you create high-engagement YouTube videos, attract new viewers, and grow your channel. We also discussed some steps you can take to make money off your YouTube videos and attract new customers for your online business.
By following these easy steps, you’ll be in a better position to deliver great content and encourage viewers to sign up for your email list in exchange for premium offerings.
What are some other platforms you use to promote your online business? Let us know by commenting below.