Did you know that email marketing has an average return on investment of over 3000%?
Creating and running an effective email marketing strategy for your membership site is a great way to increase engagement and attract new members to your site. This also helps keep registered members engaged with your brand in the long term.
In this article, we’ll go over some of the best tips to follow for enhancing the email marketing strategy for your business.
Tips to enhance your email marketing strategy
Here we’ll dive deeper into some of the best ways to enhance the email marketing strategy for your membership website.
#1. Send welcome emails to new members
The welcome email is one of the most important emails you can send to prospective members. This is why it’s best to take notes on how you’re going to onboard new users to your membership website.
It might be useful to showcase the various “types” of content that are available on your membership site or all the different topics your membership program covers. This way, new members will have an easier time navigating your site and finding the content they’re looking for. For instance, if your content covers both beginner and advanced topics, you can showcase some of the basic topics to new members so that they have an easier time starting the program.
In addition to this, it’s also a great idea to include tips in welcome emails that are sent to new members once they join your website. You can mention the steps they need to follow to set up their accounts on your membership site and include information on how they can quickly get in touch with you in case they’re stuck somewhere. Also, you can include tips that will help new members figure out what the best topic for them is.
#2. Send re-engagement emails to “lost” members
While some registered members will inevitably leave your membership site, you should consider getting them back because they’re already familiar with your brand and your content.
To get things started, send “lost” members an email asking them “what went wrong?”. This gives you better insight into why a paying member decided to leave your membership site for good. You can also ask them what your business can do to help them become a loyal member again. Making people feel exclusive can help them get interested in registering for your membership site again.
Ideally, you want to offer as much value in your re-engagement emails as you possibly can. For instance, you can offer them your best free content as a way to encourage more people to come back.
Let’s talk about some of the types of content that work best for encouraging more users to come back to your membership site:
- E-books. Offering your registered members a free e-book is a great way to offer them more value, other than the premium content available in your membership program. This helps encourage people to give your membership site another shot, especially if they’re getting access to e-books or other premium content for free.
- Downloadable PDFs. Downloadable PDFs also work great for offering more value to members and giving them a strong reason to re-subscribe to your membership program.
- Freemium online courses. Instead of giving away your online course for free, you can create a freemium version of your online course to exchange for a resubscription. This is essentially a toned-down version of the premium online course and gives users a taste of what they can get in the full version.
With a better understanding of some of the types of content, you can include in your re-engagement emails, “lost” members will find more value in your membership program and will be more likely to re-subscribe.
Additionally, you can offer discounts on membership renewals to old members who’re not subscribed to your membership site currently. This can encourage people who may have left your membership site due to a low budget to subscribe and become paying members again.
#3. Send promotional emails
Sending promotional emails to people who are already on your email list is a great way to increase engagement on new posts or for new content that you publish.
Since users in your email list are already interested in your content, sending them an email notification about upcoming content or new posts can be a great way to increase engagement.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the types of promotional emails you can send out as a way to enhance your email marketing strategy:
- Offering registered users an upsell is one of the best ways to increase the average order value on your membership site. For instance, you can promote the “Gold membership plan” to people who are subscribed to the “Silver membership plan”. This essentially offers them an “upgrade” to their already existing membership plan.
- Discount offers. Sending discount offers in your promotional emails is great for encouraging users to spend more on your membership site. It incentivizes them to re-subscribe to your membership program and avail of the discount offer. As a result, this helps enhance customer loyalty and retention.
- New content notifications. It’s always a great idea to send registered users new content notification emails. This not only makes your content creation efforts more profitable but also helps registered members stay up-to-date with your content.
Promotional emails are also great for showcasing customer testimonials and their experiences with your membership offering. This encourages registered members to upgrade their plan or purchase products from you.
#4. Keep registered users engaged
Keeping registered users engaged with your membership site is also important for customer retention. This is because a loyal member will provide more value to your business as they will keep renewing their membership subscription.
First, it’s important to send relevant emails to your registered members. For example, you can send a subscriber useful tips relevant to the content they’re subscribed to.
You can also promote new as well as old content to keep registered users engaged. While newer content works great for encouraging more people to check back on your membership site, registered users will also be interested in absorbing more content, even if it’s an older publication.
In addition to this, you can also host free giveaways for your loyal members. Giveaways present a great way to keep registered members engaged with your membership site and help attract new members.
#5. Send subscription renewal reminders
Your email marketing strategy should also include sending members subscription renewal reminders so they don’t forget to re-subscribe. Sending these notifications not only helps enhance the user experience but can also prevent your business from losing money.
Sending subscription renewal reminders is a great way to nudge members to re-subscribe so they can keep engaging with your content. For instance, if members know that their subscription is expiring soon, it gives them more time to re-subscribe rather than finding out when they can’t log in to your membership site anymore.
#6. Use email automation tools
Along with other effective email marketing tactics, it’s also a good idea to create an automated email marketing sequence for your business. This not only ensures everything goes as planned but is also a great way to save time and resources for your business.
When all emails are sent on time and are relevant to the situation, it can help you create and run a more successful email marketing strategy. Let’s talk about some of the different tools you can use to enhance email marketing strategies for your business:
- Mailchimp. Mailchimp is an all-in-one email marketing solution that lets you create effective campaigns and gives you access to all the tools you need to create engaging emails for your membership site.
- ActiveCampaign. ActiveCampaign is another popular email marketing automation tool that’s designed to help you create engaging emails. You can send out attractive-looking emails that are relevant to each member and create more successful email marketing campaigns for your business.
- ConvertKit. ConvertKit is a professional marketing solution that also lets you create and run unique email marketing campaigns. You can create and send out engaging emails using pre-designed email templates and use inline styling options to create a clean, distraction-free layout for your emails. ConvertKit also has email scheduling options that let you send important emails on time, automatically. It’s the perfect solution if you’re looking to grow your email list while also keeping registered users engaged with emails.
Also, be sure to check out our roundup of the Best Email Software For Your Membership Site for more information.
Creating and running an effective email marketing strategy can be a challenge, especially if this is your first time doing so.
We shared some of the best tips to enhance your email marketing campaigns. Hopefully, now you’re in a much better place to take the next steps.
Do you know of any other useful pointers that can help create successful email marketing strategies for membership sites? Let us know in the comments box below.