Did you know that email marketing has an average return on investment of over 3000%?
Creating and running an effective email marketing strategy for your membership site is a great way to increase engagement and attract new members to your site. This also helps keep registered members engaged with your brand in the long term.
In this article, we’ll go over some of the best tips to follow for enhancing the email marketing strategy for your business.
Tips to enhance your email marketing strategy
Here we’ll dive deeper into some of the best ways to enhance the email marketing strategy for your membership website.
#1. Send welcome emails to new members
The welcome email is one of the most important emails you can send to prospective members. This is why it’s best to take notes on how you’re going to onboard new users to your membership website.
It might be useful to showcase the various “types” of content that are available on your membership site or all the different topics your membership program covers. This way, new members will have an easier time navigating your site and finding the content they’re looking for. For instance, if your content covers both beginner and advanced topics, you can showcase some of the basic topics to new members so that they have an easier time starting the program.
In addition to this, it’s also a great idea to include tips in welcome emails that are sent to new members once they join your website. You can mention the steps they need to follow to set up their accounts on your membership site and include information on how they can quickly get in touch with you in case they’re stuck somewhere. Also, you can include tips that will help new members figure out what the best topic for them is.
#2. Send re-engagement emails to “lost” members
While some registered members will inevitably leave your membership site, you should consider getting them back because they’re already familiar with your brand and your content.
To get things started, send “lost” members an email asking them “what went wrong?”. This gives you better insight into why a paying member decided to leave your membership site for good. You can also ask them what your business can do to help them become a loyal member again. Making people feel exclusive can help them get interested in registering for your membership site again.
Ideally, you want to offer as much value in your re-engagement emails as you possibly can. For instance, you can offer them your best free content as a way to encourage more people to come back.
Let’s talk about some of the types of content that work best for encouraging more users to come back to your membership site:
- E-books. Offering your registered members a free e-book is a great way to offer them more value, other than the premium content available in your membership program. This helps encourage people to give your membership site another shot, especially if they’re getting access to e-books or other premium content for free.
- Downloadable PDFs. Downloadable PDFs also work great for offering more value to members and giving them a strong reason to re-subscribe to your membership program.
- Freemium online courses. Instead of giving away your online course for free, you can create a freemium version of your online course to exchange for a resubscription. This is essentially a toned-down version of the premium online course and gives users a taste of what they can get in the full version.
With a better understanding of some of the types of content, you can include in your re-engagement emails, “lost” members will find more value in your membership program and will be more likely to re-subscribe.
Additionally, you can offer discounts on membership renewals to old members who’re not subscribed to your membership site currently. This can encourage people who may have left your membership site due to a low budget to subscribe and become paying members again.
#3. Send promotional emails
Sending promotional emails to people who are already on your email list is a great way to increase engagement on new posts or for new content that you publish.
Since users in your email list are already interested in your content, sending them an email notification about upcoming content or new posts can be a great way to increase engagement.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the types of promotional emails you can send out as a way to enhance your email marketing strategy:
- Offering registered users an upsell is one of the best ways to increase the average order value on your membership site. For instance, you can promote the “Gold membership plan” to people who are subscribed to the “Silver membership plan”. This essentially offers them an “upgrade” to their already existing membership plan.
- Discount offers. Sending discount offers in your promotional emails is great for encouraging users to spend more on your membership site. It incentivizes them to re-subscribe to your membership program and avail of the discount offer. As a result, this helps enhance customer loyalty and retention.
- New content notifications. It’s always a great idea to send registered users new content notification emails. This not only makes your content creation efforts more profitable but also helps registered members stay up-to-date with your content.
Promotional emails are also great for showcasing customer testimonials and their experiences with your membership offering. This encourages registered members to upgrade their plan or purchase products from you.
#4. Keep registered users engaged
Keeping registered users engaged with your membership site is also important for customer retention. This is because a loyal member will provide more value to your business as they will keep renewing their membership subscription.
First, it’s important to send relevant emails to your registered members. For example, you can send a subscriber useful tips relevant to the content they’re subscribed to.
You can also promote new as well as old content to keep registered users engaged. While newer content works great for encouraging more people to check back on your membership site, registered users will also be interested in absorbing more content, even if it’s an older publication.
In addition to this, you can also host free giveaways for your loyal members. Giveaways present a great way to keep registered members engaged with your membership site and help attract new members.
#5. Send subscription renewal reminders
Your email marketing strategy should also include sending members subscription renewal reminders so they don’t forget to re-subscribe. Sending these notifications not only helps enhance the user experience but can also prevent your business from losing money.
Sending subscription renewal reminders is a great way to nudge members to re-subscribe so they can keep engaging with your content. For instance, if members know that their subscription is expiring soon, it gives them more time to re-subscribe rather than finding out when they can’t log in to your membership site anymore.
#6. Use email automation tools
Along with other effective email marketing tactics, creating an automated email marketing sequence for your business is also a good idea. This ensures everything goes as planned and is a great way to save time and resources for your business.
When all emails are sent on time and are relevant to the situation, it can help you create and run a more successful email marketing strategy. Let’s talk about some of the different tools you can use to enhance email marketing strategies for your business:
- Mailchimp. Mailchimp is an all-in-one email marketing solution that lets you create effective campaigns and gives you access to all the tools you need to create engaging emails for your membership site.
- ActiveCampaign. ActiveCampaign is another popular email marketing automation tool designed to help you create engaging emails. You can send attractive-looking emails relevant to each member and create more successful email marketing campaigns for your business.
- ConvertKit. ConvertKit is a professional marketing solution that lets you create and run unique email marketing campaigns. You can create and send out engaging emails using pre-designed email templates and inline styling options to create a clean, distraction-free email layout. ConvertKit also has email scheduling options that automatically let you send essential emails on time. It’s the perfect solution if you want to grow your email list while keeping registered users engaged with emails.
- Brevo. Is a secure and user-friendly email service that prioritizes privacy and productivity. With end-to-end encryption and advanced security features, Brevo keeps your communications safe from prying eyes. The intuitive interface and powerful organization tools make it easier to manage your inbox and stay on top of important messages.
- MailerLite. Easy-to-use email marketing platform that helps businesses create and send professional campaigns. With features like drag-and-drop editors, automation, and personalization, MailerLite makes it simple to reach customers and drive engagement. Their affordable pricing and excellent customer support make it a popular choice for small and medium-sized businesses.
Also, check out our roundup of the Best Email Software For Your Membership Site for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is email marketing for memberships?
A: Email marketing for memberships is a strategy that involves using emails to engage with your membership audience, promote your offerings, and build a strong relationship with your subscribers.
Q: What are the best practices for email marketing?
A: The best practices for email marketing include segmenting your email list, using a catchy subject line, personalizing your emails, providing valuable content, optimizing for mobile devices, and analyzing your email marketing efforts for continuous improvement.
Q: How can I build a membership email list?
A: To build a membership email list, you can offer a free trial or exclusive content in exchange for email subscriptions, promote your newsletter or membership offerings on your website and social media platforms, and use email opt-in forms on your website.
Q: What is marketing automation in email campaigns?
A: Marketing automation in email campaigns refers to using software and tools to automate various aspects of your email marketing, such as sending automated welcome emails, personalized follow-ups, and targeted promotions based on subscriber behavior and preferences.
Q: How can I improve my email campaigns’ open and click-through rates?
A: To improve open rates and click-through rates in your email campaigns, you can optimize your subject lines to be engaging and compelling, segment your email list to send more targeted and relevant content, use clear and compelling call-to-action buttons, and regularly analyze and refine your email marketing efforts.
Q: What should be included in a membership marketing plan?
A: A membership marketing plan should include goals and objectives, target audience analysis, strategies for acquiring and retaining members, email marketing strategies, content marketing strategies, promotion and advertising strategies, and a measurement and evaluation plan to track the success of your marketing efforts.
Q: Why is it important to segment your email list?
A: Segmenting your email list is important because it allows you to send more targeted and relevant content to specific groups of subscribers. By segmenting your list based on demographics, preferences, or engagement levels, you can increase the effectiveness of your email campaigns and provide a better experience for your subscribers.
Q: What are some effective strategies for building a membership?
A: Some effective strategies for building a membership include offering a free trial or special discount for new members, providing valuable and exclusive content to your subscribers, engaging with your audience through social media and email marketing, and continuously improving your offerings based on member feedback.
Q: Why is building an email list important for membership businesses?
A: Building an email list is important for membership businesses because it allows you to communicate directly with your audience, promote your offerings, and nurture relationships with your subscribers. Email marketing is a cost-effective and efficient way to generate leads, increase engagement, and drive conversions for your membership business.
Q: What email marketing software should I use for my membership business?
A: The type of email marketing software you should use for your membership business depends on your specific needs and budget. Various options are available, such as Mailchimp, Constant Contact, and ConvertKit, which offer features like email automation, segmentation, analytics, and integration with other platforms.
Creating and running an effective email marketing strategy can be challenging, especially if this is your first time.
We shared some of the best tips to enhance your email marketing campaigns. Hopefully, you’re in a much better place to take the following steps.
Do you know of any other valuable pointers that can help create successful email marketing strategies for membership sites? Let us know in the comments box below.